|The Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, which Boeing wants to sell to Iran|
During the presidential campaign, two major issues that Donald Trump ran on were: opposition to the Iran deal with no loosening of sanctions, and stimulating job growth in the United States.
With Boeing Company now looking for US government approval to to sell Iran 60 jets, Trump has a decision to make.
If Trump approves the deal:
- Thousands of jobs will be created in the US.
- Sanctions against Iran go out the window, and Iran will reap the results of megadeals with companies around the world; its economy and military capabilities will surge.
- Iranian aggression will increase as it becomes emboldened by having beaten the "great Satan"; Israel and the Middle East will be increasingly threatened.
If Trump does not approve the deal:
- An economic opportunity is missed, no new US jobs are created due to no deal, with no stimulus to the US economy.
- The US maintains the high ground by maintaining the sanctions against Iran currently in place, stifling Iran and hopefully, its nuclear and weapons programs.
- Iran will attempt to sign deals with other countries only too willing to abide, while the US applies pressure against them from doing so.
- While Iranian economic and military modernization may be stymied in the short term, other countries will ignore the sanctions and overlook Iranian aggression in the Middle East (and elsewhere), and eventually try to sell to Iran anyway.
What is Donald Trump going to do?
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?