US President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Ambassador to Israel David Friedman speak frequently of the historic rights of the Jewish people in its land, and, consequently, the legality of the Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria.
These principled statements absolutely contradict the framework of the “Deal of the Century,” which the Trump administration is advocating enthusiastically. This framework is nothing more than a compromise on the basis of which the territory will be partitioned, G-d forbid, with Israeli law applying to only 30% of Judea, Samaria and the Jordan Valley, while the remaining 70% designated for the establishment of a Palestinian state (in the unlikely event that it complies with the benchmarks indicated in the deal. One must also take into account that the benchmarks could be changed or overlooked by future key decision makers).
If, as the Americans themselves say, the Jewish people have historic rights over 100% of the territory, why set aside 70% for the Arab Palestinians? What is the source of this dissonance between the principled pronouncements and the implementation of the program?
The Sovereignty Movement stated that “We must apply Sovereignty in all of Judea and Samaria unrelated to the “Deal of the Century.” To recognize the right of Arab terrorists who stole the land from its rightful owners is a fatal blow to morality and justice. This recognition continues to inflame them with hope that they will gain more through terrorism, until we are forced to the Mediterranean and beyond, to the countries of the Diaspora.
We hope that Israel will act solely on the basis of its own interests. Sovereignty should not be contingent on a dangerous political compromise.