Several blazes were reported in and around Israeli communities adjacent to the Gaza Strip Monday as incendiary balloon attacks from the Strip continued to increase. Mayors of those Jewish communities demanded action against the fire-causing threat.
No injuries or property damage were reported.
The rockets were a “message” to Israel to let it know that armed groups in Gaza will not “remain silent” in the face of an Israeli blockade and “aggression,” a source close to Hamas told AFP.
In response to the renewed balloon-based attacks, mayors of the Jewish communities surrounding the Gaza Strip released a statement on Monday calling for the government to take action to prevent them.
“Our daily lives are again and again interrupted, by ear-ringing explosions, by fires, but rocket launches on a constant and ongoing basis. All of this, during a medical and economic crisis, which has also left its marks on our region,” the mayors wrote.
It’s inexcusable for the incendiary balloon attacks to continue and to expect the Southern Jewish communities to return to their “normal” daily lives. Israel must exercise its Sovereignty with an appropriate and effective plan of action for a permanent security response to these ongoing terror attacks.
Israeli mayors demand action on renewed incendiary balloon attacks from Gaza, by AFP, Judah Ari Gross and TOI staff. Times of Israel – August 11, 2020
Lebanon’s cabinet resigned on Monday over last week’s devastating blast at the Beirut port, a decision that was made under pressure as several ministers quit or expressed their intention to step down.
In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that he is taking “a step back” so he can stand with the people “and fight the battle for change alongside them.”
The massive blast on August 4 has brought a new wave of public outrage at the government and Lebanon’s long-entrenched ruling class.
Lebanon was in a dire state even before the explosion wrecked much of Beirut. The government is bankrupt, the currency is almost worthless, and millions of Lebanese are jobless. The explosion made things worse by destroying the main port for a nation heavily reliant on food imports. Some 300,000 people made homeless in Beirut have received little help from the government. Lebanon is also home to 1.5 million Syrian refugees. How will aid organizations deal with the challenge?
We know that Hezbollah has been in control in Southern Lebanon for quite some time but was not in overt control as far north as Beirut. Will this catastrophe signal a change in the entire country? How might Israel be affected? Lebanon was unstable before the blast. What will happen there now is anyone’s guess.
Lebanese cabinet resigns in wake of deadly port blast, by AP and ILH Staff. Israel Hayom – August 10, 2020
At the 4 day archaeological camp, attended by youths from all parts of the Land, historical findings were exposed at the Oz veGaon preserve in the heart of Gush Etzion.
Attended by youths from all parts of the Land, they discovered archaeological findings, one of which was a residential building from the Roman Era.
The archaeological camp is a joint initiative of the Archaeological Command (from the Civil Administration), AFSI (Americans for a Safe Israel) and Women in Green, who have been operating in the preserve since the day they founded it, 6 years ago.
Americans For A Safe Israel is beaming and so proud to be a sponsor of this important program. In order for Sovereignty to be maintained throughout the Land, it is critical that Israel’s youth be instilled with a sense of pride about and understanding of the importance of Israeli Sovereignty. The archaeological finding that these youth unearthed gives them an understanding of the history of the Land from the ground up! No pun intended.
Ancient structure discovered at archaeological camp in Oz veGaon, by Arutz Sheva Staff. Arutz Sheva – August 6, 2020
Unbelievable as this may seem, Ottoman Land Law continues to be the law of the land in Judea and Samaria. Contrary to what far too many journalists and foreign “Middle East experts” believe, the Ottoman legal system is enforced by the State of Israel across the board; it applies to both Jewish and Arab residents of Area C.
This anomalous situation is what makes the application of Israeli Sovereignty in these areas so important, so logical and so beneficial for everyone who lives there, and for the State of Israel and its neighbors, as well. Simply put, Ottoman Land Law makes no sense in today’s world, and the situation as it stands is untenable.
The system of law currently in force in Judea and Samaria is so outmoded that it was abandoned everywhere else in the world more than 100 years ago. Some of the most egregious aspects of this bizarre system are rarely discussed.
#SovereigntyNow #JudeaSamaria #OttomanLandLawMakesNoSense
The sovereignty debate, down on the ground, by Naomi Kahn. Jewish News Syndicate – August 5, 2020
Samaria Regional Council Chairman Yossi Dagan responded Wednesday to assertions by Prime Minister Netanyahu that the application of Israeli Sovereignty in Judea and Samaria is dependent on cooperation from Washington.
Dagan said that the Israeli government has always known how to apply Sovereignty and is the only party that should make the final decision.
“The State of Israel has never bowed before the United States,” Dagan declared. “Prime Minister Levy Eshkol applied Sovereignty to Jerusalem despite opposition from the US administration, and Prime Minister Menachem Begin exercised Sovereignty over the Golan Heights in the same way. I call on the Prime Minister to act courageously and apply Sovereignty right now.”
‘Israel has never bowed before the US’, by Arutz Sheva Staff. Arutz Sheva – August 5, 2020
The explosion in Beirut earlier this week is beyond catastrophic. At least 137 people are dead, with hundreds more feared dead. US and French citizens are among those reported as casualties and over 5,000 are reported injured. Hundreds of citizens are now homeless.
The investigation is focusing on how 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive chemical used in fertilizers, came to be stored at the facility for six years, and why nothing was done about it.
The ammonium nitrate stockpile is that which Hezbollah has threatened time and again to unleash on Tel Aviv.
In the aftermath of the explosion, Israel estimates that the likelihood that Hezbollah will carry out its threats to harm Israel have dropped significantly. The risk of Hezbollah confronting Israel is considered too high after the disaster.
Israel’s doctors have gone above and beyond in reaching out with medical assistance. They have implored the Lebanese people to accept their expert help. Israel’s humanitarian spirit applies to all in need.
Hezbollah has been a long-standing threat to Israel. But in this case, the harm Hezbollah has long wished to inflict on Israel has only returned bad energy back to them. As the old adage says, what goes around comes around.
Death Toll Rises In Beirut Blast Linked To Seized Russian-Owned Ship, by RFE/RL. Radio Free Europe – August 6, 2020
Assessment: Likelihood of Hezbollah revenge attack has decreased, by Arutz Sheva Staff. Arutz Sheva – August 5, 2020
Four people crossed into Israeli territory from Syria and planted improvised explosive devices inside an unmanned IDF outpost along the Syrian border late Sunday night.
Soldiers from the Maglan special forces unit and unspecified aircraft opened fire at the four suspects, some of whom were armed, killing them all, IDF Spokesperson Hidai Zilberman told reporters Monday morning. The army also released video of the incident, showing figures approaching a fence near the border and being hit with a missile.
IDF forces conducted a tour of the area today where the bomb was thwarted last night. Weapons and a bag were found, containing a number of explosive devices that were ready to be used against an IDF force, 25 meters from the perimeter fence, inside Israeli territory.
Despite all of this, no Israeli soldiers were injured. Life for the residents of the Golan continues as normal. Israelis are a resilient and amazing people. We say this is a miracle and we are thankful.
For an insider report, Golan resident Yaakov Selevan shares a Facebook post to let us know how the community fared during this security breach. Listen to Yaakov HERE.
Syrian cell entered Israeli territory to plant bomb in unmanned army post — IDF, by Judah Ari Gross. Times of Israel – August 3, 2020
IDF locates explosive devices on northern border, by Mordechai Sones. Arutz Sheva – August 3, 2020
The IDF reported on Sunday that the Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory.
The launch set off sirens in the southern town of Sderot as well as in the Sha’ar HaNegev Regional Council in the north-western Negev.
As sirens blared, dozens of citizens were enjoying the inauguration screening at a new drive-in cinema complex at Sderot’s municipal market.
The only casualty was a vehicle damaged by shrapnel following the interception near the Gaza border and the interruption of an otherwise enjoyable respite from the solitude of Covid 19 by the Sderot residents.
Iron Dome intercepts rocket launched from Gaza Strip, by YNet News. YNet News – August 2, 2020
In 2005, a reckless and irresponsible government decision put our Zionist vision to the test.
10,000 people from 28 communities were expelled from their homes.
Today, on the 15th anniversary of the destruction of Gush Katif and four communities in northern Samaria, it is time to correct this historical injustice. We call for the application of Israeli sovereignty in all parts of the Land of Israel.
“For the Lord will not abandon His people, nor will He forsake His inheritance.” – Psalms 94:14
Americans For A Safe Israel joins Yaakov Hagoel in remembering the senseless destruction of the beautiful Jewish community of Gush Katif. The expulsion from Gush Katif 15 years ago was a tremendous mistake, and even worse, an incomprehensible human tragedy. Never again should any Jewish community in Judea and Samaria be expelled from their land only to be used as a pilot program to test the potential for peace.
Yaakov Hagoel is the Vice Chairman of the World Zionist Organization and Head of the Department for Activities in Israel and Countering Anti-Semitism. Yaakov’s remembrance of the Gush Katif expulsion first appeared on his Facebook page on July 31, 2020.
In 1978, Dalal Mughrabi took part in the Coastal Road Massacre in which an Israeli bus was hijacked. Thirty-eight Israelis lost their lives in the attack, including 13 children. To Israelis, Mughrabi is a terrorist.
To the Palestinians, she is a national treasure. Children are taught to emulate her example. She also pops up regularly in textbooks, where she is lauded as martyr and a hero.
Responsibility for reaching a definitive ruling on Mughrabi’s status – if such a thing is possible – may ultimately fall to Philippe Lazzarini, the incoming commissioner-general of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for the Palestinians.
Lazzarini tells the Jerusalem Post, “We have zero tolerance for [teaching] incitement or violence. We are focused on human rights values in our schools.”
To the contrary, sources in the Israel government said,“Either Mr Lazzarini is living with his head totally in the sand or he is misleading the public,” the Post was told. “UNRWA schools are a hotbed of indoctrination, incitement and total obsession with the right of return. Their schoolbooks are PLO schoolbooks, and their teachers’ manuals are PLO manuals. UNRWA schools are essentially in contravention of UN principles of peace and reconciliation, and are bringing us further away and not closer to a resolution with the Palestinians.”
Lazzarini has every opportunity to make necessary changes to the terrorist preaching, anti-Israel UNRWA curriculum. But will he? We’re not holding our breath.
New UNRWA head to ‘Post’: No glorifying terrorists in our schools, by Donna Rachel Edmunds. Jerusalem Post – July 30 , 2020